Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Quote of the Day

"I know I'm loyal to my teammates and my team are my guys, but it doesn't seem like the organization is to me.  But that doesn't keep me from going out on the field and putting my best out there...I learned that it really is a business and that they really don't care about your personal life or anything like that.  It's the National Football League and these organizations are in a business.  That's the bad part about it."
                                                                                     -Matt Forte, Chicago Bears RB

The only difference between the St. Louis Rams' offense and the Chicago Bears' offense is Matt Forte.  The team has no wideouts, no offensive linemen, and a quarterback that's likely to be straight up murdered by opposing pass rushers due to said lack of an o-line and wide receivers.  So Chicago should pay this man, right?  Well, sort of.  RBs have the shelf-life of a gallon of milk.  It rarely makes sense to give big money to one (see Williams, Deangelo; Johnson, Chris).  Especially when you have such a convenient out: the franchise tag.  Teams can franchise tag one player for up to two straight years and pay him the average of the top 5 players at his position.  Since Da Bears would more or less have to pay Forte that anyway in a big new deal, why not simply go year to year and lower the teams' risk exposure?  It's a trick question -- there's no reason not to and it's likely that's what they'll do.  Unless Forte decides he's willing to hold out rather than play under the franchise tag, of course.

So basically, Forte gets fucked here.  He loses two years of his prime and doesn't get a long term deal.  Such is life for an NFL running back.   

No comments:

Post a Comment